Remote / Off-site self hosted backup comparison
Every 2 years Primary Technology re-engineers all of it’s services and this year I have been tasked with re-engineering our School offsite / remote backup service. Our current service works well but there are a few things we would change and we feel our current provider isn’t really giving us the support we need to make these changes.
The first part of any successful re-engineering job is to gather a comparison of all the available products on the market.
I reviewed these products/pieces of software:
- iDrive Backup
- One Safe Place
- SOS Online Backup
And I reviewed them based on this following requirements of functionality:
- Can the client transfer data and config over HTTPS?
- Does a Windows client Exist?
- Is the software brandable?
- Can I perform a system state backup on the clients?
- Can it export database bricks / incremental / differential backups
- Does the client have a scheduler?
- Can the client stop itself at a specified time
- Can the server push changes to the client backup set?
- Can the client easily select which files to upload?
- Does the server save old versions of files?
- Is the software open source?
- Does the server have overview reporting?
And my notes which probably contain the most important informative information: